We asked real Firefighters for the best tips on how to stay safe from fire. Here are some important tips.
- Have your parents make it a priority to plan and practice a fire drill in your house and make sure everyone knows where the meeting spot is outside the house away from danger.
- Remind your parents to change the batteries in your smoke detectors every six months.
- Be sure your parents know that they need to replace the smoke detectors every 10 years.
- Never leave candles unattended or place them close to a wall or under lamps that could catch fire.
- If you do see fire or smoke, you or your parents need to call 911. Practice saying your address so it’s easy to remember if you ever have to call 911.
- Never play with matches or fire.
- Remember that your authentic looking uniform is not flame resistant, flame retardant, or water-proof and therefore will not protect you against any of these dangers.